Share:
              

Weathering the pipes – Build Blog part 7

0

In this week’s entry, the Stasis Pod assembly progresses as I clean up the putty and prime the Stasis Pod again, as well as finishing off the pipes.

In Part 7 of my Blog, I’ll explain how I’ve gone about this stage….

Sanding and priming the Stasis PodacFirst job this week was to finish off sanding the Stasis Pod seam lines which I’d done last week. This was a challenge with all the curves and angles but with methodical process, it was simple enough to do with 800 and 1200 grade Wet ‘n’ Dry. I had to re-apply some areas again with putty and re-sand to get a smooth finish near the front top light but I’ve now managed to hide all the join lines in the kit. Next was a simple matter of applying several coats of primer to fill in any surface imperfections and get the Pod ready for the main colour.

I added a small section of plasticard to the bottom light void to stop the primer from spraying on the SMD inside as I’ve not yet added the bottom clear light part and its handy for holding the kit while it dries!

Sanding and priming the Stasis Podac

Guard RailThe next job on my list was to paint the main two Guard Rails in Tamiya Titanium Silver X-32 before masking. Since I’m painting the main Stasis Pod body in a pale blue colour, I felt that the rails needed to contrast against this. The masking was needed for the support bolts on the rails and so a combination of Masking solution and masking tape was used to ensure that the colours did not bleed.

Small Pipes with Blue Paint

The small pipes opposite show this effect done with the base pale blue painted onto the pipes. The pale blue colour was achieved by mixing White X-2 with a few ml of Sky Blue X-14 to achieve the desired blue tint. As you can see in the photo below, the blue really works well with the metallic pipework.

Painting th -blue base colour onto the parts

In the picture below, you can see the final weathered pipes with the sky blue colour applied to the sections where the pipes will join the main Stasis Pod unit. I used a scalpel blade to add some scratches to the blue paint so it looked worn and used.

Final painted and weathered pipes

Now I have finished the pipes, I will start work on the main unit. Beginning with the Base. Salt chips were applied onto water so they adhered to the base unit and I will spray this with the light blue colour shortly. The chipping effect will then be removed and the dark grey primer will show through – hopefully with enough definition.

Salting the Base

DoorMy last job in this weeks blog was to finish the main Stasis Pod door and assemble the clear panel into place. I wanted to Pod door to be misted with a ‘iced’ effect from the frozen cryo-liquid inside and after some tests, simply applied White Tamiya X-2 paint with a sponge to create a stippled effect around the edge. Then I glued the panel into place using Canopy Glue. This can take up to 12 hours to dry completely so I left this overnight to really give a strong bond. The panel sat flush into the frame and really gives the effect of being coated in ice crystals. I’ve added a little weathering to the door frame too so that it looks well used.

Door

That’s all the update I have this week but do check back soon for my next part in the series!

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply